This past weekend we had the incredible honor of being nominated for the Sunshine Blogger Award by Anna from Anna Love Life; a blogger who definitely knows a thing or two about travel and style. We can’t tell you how excited and thankful we are to be included into this amazing tribe of bloggers and online entrepreneurs. We were, however, very curious about this nomination, as we’d never heard about this award before last Friday.
So what is the Sunshine Blogger Award, you ask?
Well, the Sunshine Blogger Award is a nomination given to bloggers by bloggers. Members of the blogging community nominate others, who they think are inspiring and bring sunshine into the lives of their readers and followers.
It appears that the Sunshine Blogger Award and the Liebster Blogging Award, at one time may have been one and the same, though when exactly they became different entities I’m not sure. The rules for this award are fairly simple:
- 1. Thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog. (☝️️)
- 2. Answer the 11 questions your nominating blogger asked you. (👇)
- 3. Nominate other blogs and give them 11 questions to answer.
- 4. Notify your nominees.
- 5. List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo in your post. ☀️️
Now’s here the reality of the situation when talking about ‘awards’ like these. This is essentially a chain-letter, much like the emails we all received once upon a time, asking that we pass on or ‘nominate’ a number of other people to complete the tasks listed. This variation has no bad omens attached to it however, should we choose not to complete the aforementioned list.
There is some good that comes from viral content such as these awards though, and perhaps for that reason they have some merit after-all. Any type of online networking can create an increase of traffic to ones blog, bringing greater awareness to the posts we are creating. It also helps to bridge the gap between various niche’s, introducing fascinating blogs and bloggers from other genres to our followers.
But here is our dilemma…
As this is our future business…our brand name that we are building…posting about virtual awards seems like a step in the wrong direction. If we look at other professional bloggers (like the ones we are following and subscribed to ourselves), we won’t find posts about these awards anywhere in their archives. These are the sorts of posts many shy away from, not wanting to distract readers or clients from content that has been specifically created for their niche.
But there is solution to this problem, one that comes from breaking the rules…yet only slightly. In a means of allowing our followers to get to know us better, we are still going to answer the 11 questions sent to us by Anna. However, instead of nominating 11 other bloggers that will have to pass on this virtual chain-letter, we’re going to ‘nominate‘ 11 other blogs that we draw inspiration from in a means of shining the spotlight and sunshine on them; even if they don’t know about it.
So here are the questions…and our answers:
1. Define “travel” in 5 words.
Family, Adventure, Road-trips, Wanderlust & Inspirational
2. Are you a tourist or a traveler? Why?
Our destination changes how we identify ourselves. We consider ourselves to be tourists when we are in the heart of a new city, exploring the ‘tourist’ attractions and events. Though, we are more often then not considered travelers, as we spend a lot of time off the beaten path, exploring the wild and free areas.
3. Do you intend to travel all countries in the world? How many countries have you been so far?
Though we primarily focus on exploring BC and the PNW, our bucket list is very lengthy. It is definitely possible that in future years we will be able to check off countries such as Iceland and New Zealand, but for now we are sticking to locations that we can drive too. We have had a little bit of travel though over the years, to locations such as: England, Wales, Cuba and the USA.
4. What’s the most unforgettable or amazing trip you’ve been to and why? Kindly please share a link of your blog post, if there’s any.
That would definitely be our trip to Yoho National Park, which included our side trips to Emerald Lake and Kicking Horse Mountain. We enjoyed that trip so much we have already started planning a return visit for next year..but this time we’ll have Ollie with us.
5. Have you traveled solo? Briefly share your first time experience.
In the ten years that we have been together, there have been no solo trips and it’s doubtful they’ll happen now.
6. In your bucket list, what’s the number 1 you’d like to visit (somewhere you haven’t been to yet)?
For myself (Joanne), that would be New Zealand…while Henry’s is Iceland. Ollie hasn’t told us his top pick yet!!!
7. Do you prefer beach or mountain?
Mountain!!!!!!! Hands down, the mountains will always be our top pick.
8. Except airport, have you tried sleeping somewhere public (like a bus station or grass field) during your trip? Where and how was it?
We have spent many nights parked along the highways and local streets in and around BC. When we get on the road with no specific destination in mind, sleeping arrangements are always a ‘figure-it-out-when-we-get-there’ scenario.
9. What languages do you speak other than your mother tongue?
English is really the only language that either of us speak fluently. As Henry grew up in a french speaking family, he can understand the gist of what is being said to him…just don’t expect him to reciprocate.
10. If given the chance (all expenses paid/free), would you also explore other planets? Which one would you like to see the most?
Difficult to say. Henry once told me that he thinks he was born in the wrong era, that he should have been born when space travel (and living on other planets) was a reality. Who knows where he would be exploring if that were the case.
11. In addition to tourism, how would you contribute to the countries you’re visiting?
More than anything we try to learn about what we’re seeing and experiencing. When we travel to locations that have informational signs, we take pictures to ensure we can absorb all of the information at a later time. We want to pass on that knowledge to those that may not be able to see all of these incredible locations….or even inspire people to make the trip for themselves.
So now that you’ve learned a little more about us, here is our list of ‘nominees’. Check them out…we’re certain you’ll feel the allure of wanderlust and a need to see the world thanks to these inspirational bloggers and photographers.
- 1. Matt – Nomadic Matt
- 2. Kiersten – The Blonde Abroad
- 3. Matt – Expert Vagabond
- 4. Christina – The Bold Brunette
- 5. Jake & Dannie – Jake and Dannie
- 6. Nastasia -(founder) The Dame Traveler
- 7. Renee – Renee Roaming
- 8. Katie – Katie Goldie
- 9. Josh & Erin – Travel with Bender
- 10. Quin – Ever Changing Horizon
- 11. Holly – My Mountain Therapy
Did we miss anyone on your list that inspires you the most? Let us know in the comments!